Influenza A

Today I am grateful for be feeling better and grateful for the perspective that being sick puts on many things I tend to take for granted.

It started with a sore throat, body aches, and the chills Saturday evening. By Sunday morning, I knew something was up and I was very low on energy.  Sam and I made the drive back home from our travels to Iowa and I went in to urgent care. It was determined that I had a case of Influenza A. Since it was still early on after becoming symptomatic, I was prescribed Tamiflu.

I stayed home from work on Monday and continued to feel as sick as I have felt in a long time. In fact, I would have to say I haven't felt this overall malaise since post-chemo treatment days. I felt quite a bit better Tuesday and went to work. But then my back started to bother me. I probably slept on too many different beds and couches in recent days and the old back has gotten a little more temperamental on me.

So I slowly am feeling better and my energy is returning, but a painful dry cough and tweaked back remain my challenges.

It sure makes me miss the days where I feel my usual self physically. Strong, energetic, flexible. In other words, most days of my life.

It sure makes me grateful for many things too:  plenty of accrued sick time, insurance, a supportive and helpful husband and son, medication that has helped, and a desire to get back to 100% so I can fully appreciate what that feels like again.

Comments

  1. So true - I don't appreciate good health until I have the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with less contrast on this issue, but it is the only way I pause in gratitude for the good health I usually have.

      Delete

Post a Comment