Wholesome and Necessary

Today I am grateful for honesty shared in safe places and for songs that move me.

We typically don't like being told what to do, but if it's wholesome, why wouldn't we? Consider these words from biologist and conservationist Rachel Carson:

"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth and in the 
contemplation of her beauties to know of wonder and humility."

Turn again to the Earth. Become grounded. Remember our roots. Appreciate nature. These are all wholesome endeavors and they help keep me humble and my ego right-sized. As we near the fall equinox this week, I pause to take in the changes happening in the world outside the doors we have created.  

I also give thanks for those doors and a roof over my head, but I try to fully take in the sights, sounds, smells, and touches that await me when I step into the great outdoors.

Necessary?  I believe so. Lest, I forget where I come from and who is really in charge. Lest I forget to pause and be patient,  just as nature must be as it undergoes change.  

Today, I will strive for some wholesome and necessary pauses in my day, both outdoors and indoors.

Comments