Stop wishing. Start doing.

Today I am grateful for the words that flow from my heart and head. I am also grateful for a holiday weekend to enjoy and family and friends I will see.

I have driven by this line on a sign for Anytime Fitness for several days now: "Stop wishing. Start doing." It stuck in my head and this post came out.

Stop wishing. Start doing. It certainly applies to exercise. I can't wish my way through a marathon. I actually have to do the legwork, literally, one step at a time and one mile at a time. A running or walking goal of any distance or time requires doing.

Stop wishing and start doing also applies to everything else in life. And if you will allow me a brief step up on to my soapbox, I would say what ails many in our society is a misunderstanding of how we get the good things in life. (We'll save discussion of what the good things in life actually are for another time.) Other than being entitled to basic necessities and fair treatment, which for many in the world would be a very good day, we aren't owed much.

The sense of entitlement some have is downright debilitating. They think things should come their way . . . just because. They don't think they should have to work for it. Maybe their parents confused them by giving too much and forgetting the lessons in the effort, patience, and frustration. Maybe the constant ads about how things should be easier, faster, and make you happier, confused them.

So they get that something, and it only leaves them feeling good for a short while. Then they wish for more and expect it to show up. When it doesn't, they get upset and feel cheated.

I know I am exaggerating, but I do believe some are stymied by this sense that the world owes them something. Gratitude practice turns that around. I am blessed by the world around me and the people in it. I owe the world something in return . . . a good effort to add my contribution to the positive stream of life.

Have a good weekend! I will be back blogging early next week.

Comments