Where is Away?

Today I am grateful for the comfort of our home and for my job.

Having done a little traveling over the holidays, I typically enjoy getting away from my own home and my to-do list. But I also enjoy and appreciate returning home. Thinking about being "away," I recalled a writing assignment we got once in a high school English class.

I don't recall which class it was for exactly, but I recall the teacher easily. It was Mrs. Walker, my favorite teacher in high school. I loved her teaching style and the way she gently yet firmly pushed us to push ourselves. 

I already liked writing by that time, but classes with Mrs. Walker just strengthened my desire to write. She helped me appreciate the writing of other people more, but also to have increased confidence in my own writing.

The assignment I am thinking of was to write on this: "Where is away?" I liked any writing task that was open-ended and allowed for personal creativity. This one fit for sure. I have no idea what I wrote about specifically, but today, over 30 years later, I still like the question.

Some of the time, away for me needs to be more literal than figurative. As I mentioned earlier, I like our home but I need to remove myself from it to relax in a different way. A way that doesn't include walking past the next thing I could clean or clear or move.

At other times, away can be more figurative. Away from discouraging thoughts. Away from brain drain. Away from my old nemesis-self- pity. Away from overthinking.

What kind of "away" would be helpful to you today?

On a side note, Mrs. Walker passed away years ago. But I did send her a letter of thanks earlier in my adulthood. I am glad I did. Consider if there is someone you would like to send a gratitude letter to, then write it and send it. It can be that simple.

Comments