A Sea of C's

Today I am grateful for the convenience of cell phones and for time with friends in the BC sisterhood.

When I started jotting down artists and songs that start with "c", I quickly was inundated with some of my favorite artists. And they were not one-hit wonder bands. They were prolific creators of great sounds and we reaped the benefits. 

Think about some of these: Chicago, The Carpenters, Cheap Trick, Carly Simon, and Carole King. What a combined and varied discography that crew has. 

Then there are the songs to add more waves to the sea of C's. "Carry On Wayward Son" from Kansas was one of my favorites growing up. "Changes" from David Bowie, "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama, and "Crimson and Clover" come to mind. 'Crimson and Clover" is unique in that I liked both Tommy James and the Shondells and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts versions. I don't always feel that way about remakes. Read more about Cruel Summer here. "Celebration" from Kool and the Gang sparks two distinct memories for me.

The first came in the spring of 1984 when the Waldorf College women's softball team, me included, won the regional tournament in Fort Dodge, beating our nemesis Kirkwood. This is back in the day of boomboxes and my teammate Cathy came prepared. After we won the game that sent us to nationals, Cathy cranked up her boombox and out came "Celebration." It was a great season, lots of fun, and we got fourth at nationals, thanks in part to strong pitching from my good friend Deb. Listening to "Celebration" brings back this memory and I appreciate that.

The second time came in the early 1990's when I was teaching Social Studies and doing some coaching at BGM High School in Brooklyn, Iowa. We had a special week for students and staff surrounding the theme of "Celebrate Self." Several staff members created a skit and dance number to "Celebration." I was proud of myself for being one of those staff members in front of our entire student body. It was freeing for me and something I never would have done before coming into recovery.  My colleagues and I had a lot of fun preparing for the show and the students loved it. I even have an old videocassette that captures the performance.

"Celebration" brings pleasant memories and smiles, and reminds me to celebrate this day. 

Comments