Attuning and Resonating

Today I am grateful for my stylist Lori and salon owner Mary and our conversation last evening, not to mention the fresh haircut Lori provided. Brief connections matter.

Here is another quote from my favorite Benedictine monk:

"A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it--that alone can be like waking up from a dream."
(Brother David Steindl-Rast)

It does sound rather idealistic to be fully in harmony with the universe. And daunting. Awareness sounds doable though, and a little resonating can go a long way.

For me, that awareness starts with the action of writing in my gratitude journal each morning. I pause, write down two gratitudes, and set the tone for the day. I also write a small prayer to my Higher Power, asking for assistance in one way or another. Then, I add some prayers for others who are facing a challenge or a special day in some way.

These thoughts and actions get me out of my own head, a place prone to overthinking and unrealistic expectations. I guess you could say I am attuning myself to the good around me, to the opportunities of the day. That beats attuning myself to negative and self-defeating thoughts. 

To be fully awake, fully alive. In tune with the present moment. It's a good start. 

Comments