Day by Day via Godspell and The Hooters

Today I am grateful that Sam does well in school and I am also grateful for the comfort of sweatshirts and jeans.

"Day by Day" from Godspell is a song that dates back to my elementary days. (The musical premiered in 1970.) I don' recall a lot about our music classes with Sister Doris, but there were definitely hymns involved. I do remember a little green song book that had some more modern songs in it, and "Day by Day" was one of them. Listen to it here.

The lyrics include:

Day by day, oh, dear Lord, three things I pray
To see thee more clearly 
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly, day by day

Whatever name you give it, many of us pray to a power source greater than ourselves. God. Allah. Higher Power. Great Spirit. What worthy goals-to see, love, and follow more clearly, dearly, and nearly. Not only that Great Spirit but one another, ourselves, nature, the world around us. This song always moves me.

There is another song titled "Day by Day" by The Hooters. It came out in 1985. Listen to it here.
I honestly had never watched the video until now. It's kind of fun. I love the "Day by day" refrain throughout the song, and it carried special meaning for me in the mid-1980's. I was just beginning to face my drinking problem, and in 1985 I began an alcohol-free period that ended up lasting 464 days.
The song reminded me of how it's done-day by day. It remains the same today.

Mindful gratitude, day by day and moment by moment, works pretty well too.

Comments