Yard or Inch?

Today I am grateful for the simple pleasure of watching the movie "Cars" with my son Sam. I am also grateful for the wisdom in living life one day at a time.

One day at a time. I call it ODAT for short. This is a mantra you will hear from people working on recovery from alcoholism or other addictions, but I believe it can be immensely helpful for anyone under any circumstances to apply to their daily living. My mom has a little wall print in one of the bathrooms in her house. It has several nice quotes on it, but my favorite among them is: "Life is hard by the yard, but by the inch it's a cinch." That's just a catchy way of saying stay in today, don't take on too much.

I think the fast-paced world we live in today, in ways, makes it harder to stay in today, stay present to the task in front of us. Too many of us are over-booked, over-scheduled, over-committed. In the process, we get resentful, tired, stressed, and feeling a bit defeated. But we have a choice every morning when we wake up. If I decide to just take one thing at a time, do what needs to be done today (including self-care), and slow down enough to appreciate the small things I mentioned in my post the other day, my day goes much better. 

Yard or inch?  You pick. 

Comments