And Then There's Pup

Today I am grateful for our dog Oliver and my husband's wisdom concerning the timing of when we got Oliver as a puppy.  I am also grateful for laughter. 

In the spring of 2008, we were at a couple events where our son Sam, six at the time, was around other people's dogs and having fun. We had talked about getting a dog, but I had been skeptical. I had been a cat-lover growing up on the farm, but had seen one too many of my favorite kittens come to an untimely death and I was done. Plus, I was used to the animals being outside and didn't want the hassle. But seeing Sam enjoying someone else's pet helped get me a little more willing.

Then I was diagnosed with breast cancer in late May. Darcy had been researching possibilities for a dog and wanted a cockapoo. His family had one when he was growing up and they don't shed. He wanted to move forward with getting a puppy, but now I wasn't sure.  I hadn't had my first surgery yet and we didn't know what kind of treatment I would be facing. I didn't think the timing was good. But Darcy interjected that he thought the time was now. It would give us a distraction and not make that summer all about cancer. He was right.

Oliver arrived in early July. I remained a little skeptical, but it didn't take long for me to fall in love. We often call Oliver "pup," still to this day. I can't tell you how much joy and laughter he has brought to us and to our home. I still remember walking him on some of my worst chemo days and feeling good just to be out there, feeling good to have a dog that needed me and didn't care if I was sick.

If you would like to see Oliver, he is my profile picture now.

Thanks Oliver.  Thanks Darcy.

Comments