Every Day Is Earth Day

Today I am grateful for my marriage and the sense of humor my husband and I share. I am also grateful for words: words that form in my brain and heart and come out on paper and screen.

I know I am a day late for Earth Day 2012, but truly every day is Earth Day. It needs to be if we hope to preserve the planet for future generations. I am grateful the city I reside in makes it easy to recycle. I'm grateful that there is more conscientious packaging and disposal of many of our consumer goods, to better protect the environment.

But today what I am most grateful for when I think about the planet we live on is all of the beauty we get treated to on a daily basis. I loved growing up on a farm and spending lots of time outside. I love living where the seasons change. About the time I get tired of one season, the next is starting to emerge. Admittedly, the cold is getting less pleasant, but you can't beat the awe of a fresh snowfall on the trees.

Even when I doubted God or a Higher Power in my own personal life, I have always seen and appreciated that higher force at work in nature. Today I will strive to be more aware of the little pieces of natural beauty I often walk or run right past.

Today is a good day, one hour at a time.

Comments