I've got 5 and they all work

Today I am grateful for my 5 senses. These ears help me hear the music I love and the laughter of my son Sam. My eyes are adjusting to progressive lenses, but they really appreciate seeing the buds on the trees and the greening of the grass. I love the smell of that first pot of coffee in the morning and will forever love the smell of freshly cut hay on the farm. I love the taste of chocolate and ice cream . . . a little too much :-)   And our cockapoo Oliver loves a tummy rub . . . and I like the feel of his soft fur.

I know that's a lot more than two things I am grateful for today, but I too often take things like my five senses for granted.  The practice of gratitude is crucial to help me appreciate what I have rather than focus on what I don't have that I wish I did.

There's a saying/prayer that goes like this:  "If I can't have all that I want, let me want all that I have."

I am also reminded that although there are certainly things I don't have that I would like to have, there are also many things I don't want that I don't have either . . . and for that I am grateful. I don't have a bad marriage.  I don't have insurmountable debt.  I don't have chronic pain.

Today is a good day! 

Comments

  1. Gratitude means that attention is focused on the now. Paying attention to what is good in my life keeps me out of the past and the future. I am grateful for what "is" and not for what "was" or "will be".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I can stay focused on the present it also means I have slowed down enough to be present in body, mind, and spirit. When I am "in the moment" I see and hear a lot more than when I am spinning in my own head. That makes my gratitude list longer.

      Delete

Post a Comment