Staying Out of Dark Places

Today I am grateful for the simple pleasure of mowing the lawn and the feeling of satisfaction when I am done. I am also grateful for my step-children Emily and Arthur and the privilege of watching them grow up.

When I was young, the Simon and Garfunkel song "Sounds of Silence" was one of my favorite songs. The opening line was "Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again." Not exactly uplifting, but that was where I was at.  I was introverted, shy, and troubled in my head about many fears and worries. And that was before I added alcohol. It got even darker then.

There were years when I spent more time in the darkness than the light, figuratively speaking. My thoughts were full of self-pity and self-loathing and at times I felt hopeless.

It didn't happen overnight, but slowly I learned how to keep light in my life. Faith is a big part of that, and so is gratitude. Gratitude helps me stay out of the darkness because it keeps self-pity at bay and literally brings to light how blessed I am.

Gratitude is a life saver and a life enhancer.

Comments