On Being Vulnerable

Today I am grateful for RICE--rest, ice, compression, and elevation. It's a simple recipe to apply to a sore knee.  I am also grateful for the reminder that I am vulnerable physically and emotionally. That vulnerability keeps me humble and open to learning more and feeling more.

I am glad my knee feels a little better today, and I will continue with RICE.  (I tweaked my knee on a run Wed.)  It concerns me that it could be a problem that would hinder my running, but just for today I will take care of myself and my knee. I won't overdo it and I won't be in denial if it doesn't get better.

I have recently listened to two TED talks by Brene Brown. One was on vulnerabilty, the other was on shame. They are each about 20 minutes long. She is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate School of Social Work and she has some amazing insights.  Check her out at:
www.brenebrown.com

She is also an author and thanks to Amazon.com I have two of her books on the way.

Some of her words on vulnerability:

Just to be able to stop, and instead of catastrophizing what might happen, to say, 'I'm just so grateful, because to feel this vulnerable means I'm alive.'

I encourage you to listen to or read more of what Brene Brown has learned from her research.

Comments

  1. What a terrific organizing principle for a blog, Lisa, and wonderful that gratitude leads you to embrace vulnerability, our true state as living beings. I like Brene Brown's work very much. My friend, Milne Kintner, a marvelous life coach who has been developing the theme of vulnerability as central to her practice, says that she's only discovered one drawback to embracing vulnerability. "It's hard," she says. That's all--it's hard. But what's harder still, I think: pretending that one is not vulnerable. Much worse suffering lies in that direction. And, just as you say, enormous learning becomes possible when stepping toward one's vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marisha! I agree; vulnerability may be hard, but not recognizing and not honoring our vulnerability is harder on us because it stunts our potential! I appreciate your words "embrace vulnerability, our true state as living things."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment