The Lost Art of Letter Writing

Today I am grateful for sweat; it reminds me of my physical capabilities and it helps flush some toxins out of my body.  I am also grateful for the art of letter writing. I am trying to keep it alive today by writing a letter to my friend Sheila. Sheila and I have been friends for over thirty years and we've got some history together. More on that tomorrow.

I admit that when I say letter writing I usually actually type the letters. My handwriting is rather messy and haphazard. I don't know what it would say about me if it were analyzed. Typing a letter also comes in handy when you want to send a letter to all 7 of your sisters.  Type it once, print it seven times. Then I personalize each one with some of my messy human writing and it's good to go.

I use emailing, texts, and now this blog too, but it's a treat to get something in the mail from a friend or family member when you aren't expecting it. There's also something therapeutic, I believe, about putting pen to paper. The other ways we connect today often seem more impersonal.

Maybe you have someone you feel inspired to drop a note to. Maybe to thank them, maybe to say you miss them.

Let's keep the lost art of letter writing alive. 

Comments