Universal Responsibility

Today I am grateful for recovery friends and the laughter we can sincerely share. I am also grateful for the written word and how it enhances my life-both as a writer and as a reader.

Speaking of written words, I found these quite thought-provoking:

Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life. 
(His Holiness the Dalai Lama)

There is much to be gleaned and garnered from these brief lines. What hit me first this morning is the "human to human" portion of this Universal responsibility. There is much suffering in the world. There is also much compassion and loving-kindness. 

Some of the suffering is brought on by forces beyond our own control. And if you are like me, some of it is brought on me by my own thoughts and actions. I was long my own worst enemy. I am less enemy and more friend to myself now. Progress, not perfection. Only healthy habits and actions make progress possible.

When I contribute less to my own suffering, I am better able to see the suffering of others and be of support and assistance. I become more compassionate and able to give consideration to others.

That is what I strive for today. Compassionate consideration of others and the world around me.

How about you? What part of this quote struck you when you first read it? 

Comments