Other Forms of Life

Today I am grateful for wisdom shared in many ways by family, friends and colleagues. I am also grateful for time for meditation practice with others.

Yesterday's quote from the Dalai Lama is still lingering in my thoughts:

Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life. 

I am thinking this morning of the last portion; human responsibility to other forms of life. Our cockapoo Oliver comes to mind. We just returned from our morning walk in a cold rain. We love Oliver and we do what needs to be done to make sure he is well-cared for. I'll walk in rain or freezing temperatures or uncomfortable heat with him. 

He brings much to our loves in terms of smiles and comfort. His personality and presence are part of our family.

I think also of plants, trees, the worms on the trail in the rain, the birds singing. I try to appreciate them all and do little things like recycling, not littering, using fewer chemicals, etc. that help protect all those forms of life and also helps us two-legged creatures.

It starts by noticing my surroundings, noticing who and what I am sharing those surroundings with.
That means starting with mindful presence. When I can exist in the present moment, I tend to be kinder and gentler with myself and everyone/everything else.

Start right here. Today I will appreciate life and the many forms it takes, starting with my own breathing in and breathing out. 

Comments