"In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy." Brother David Steindl-Rast

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Keep Remembering

Today I am grateful for a clean garage and a good run yesterday in the early morning solitude. I am also grateful for my dad.

Every October 23, I remember my dad. He died on October 23, 1998. It is hard to believe that is already 18 years ago.

I keep remembering so as to honor his life and legacy. I keep remembering to help pass on that legacy.

Some things I miss when I think of Dad:
-his striped bib overalls and the jokes he played on grandkids with the pockets in them
-his dry sense of humor and how he called our local paper, The Ossian Bee,"the stinger"
-the way he took chances on high bids in card games and relished in it when things went his way

Some things I continue to pass along, in his memory:
-the work ethic he managed to balance with taking time for things like church and visiting family
-keeping up on current events and being an informed citizen
-making sure ice cream gets enjoyed regularly(tough job but somebody's got to do it)

Regrets?
-that Dad died before my son Sam was born and they never got to talk about farming
-not calling Mom and Dad that Thursday night, 10/22/98 (I thought about it but decided to wait until the weekend, Dad died the next morning)

To keep remembering loved ones is to keep the love alive, and the memories fresh.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me that Dad was one of a kind. I know that we all inherited our ice cream gene from him. Sometimes he would send me or another sibling into
    NicCandies to get him a giant soft serve .i am grateful for the memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Roger was one of a kind. Memories can be both painful and joyful.
    Even at the same time. Gratitude softens the pain and heightens the joy.

    ReplyDelete