I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar

Today I am grateful for a nice long weekend, beautiful weather, and the idea of quiet grace in my life.

"I am woman, hear me roar."  Am I referencing Helen Reddy's 1972 song that inspired many a female, or am I writing about myself and what it feels like to be a woman approaching menopause? It's both I guess.

I appreciate Reddy's song, co-written by her and Ray Burton. I remember belting it out as a young girl when it came on the radio. I may not have felt as confident as the song sounded, but I certainly felt my budding femininity and solidarity with my sisters, biological and other.

More recently, the "hear me roar" part could be referring to my mood swings and changing hormonal levels. Sleep disruption seems to be my most evident peri-menopause symptom, but on some days the mood swings hit hard.

I have had moments in recent months where I was very close to either breaking down crying (which I typically never do) or angrily giving someone an earful they didn't deserve. Thankfully, I have been able to excuse myself or remove myself from a situation before the torrent came. I wouldn't want to say something I later regret. This time in life presents some challenges, but don't they all?

Our bodies are amazing and mysterious. I am grateful for mine, hormones and all.

Comments