Sure-Footed

Today I am grateful for the sounds of melting and the sights of road and trail surfaces we haven't seen in months. I am also grateful for a wonderful meal of teriyaki salmon and vegetables prepared by my husband Darcy.

Sure-footed came to my mind as I was out walking the other day. It is a nice word, meaning not liable to stumble, fall or err. It goes right along with balance. We have been enjoying warmer temperatures the last few days and snow has given way to ice to slush to even clear roads and trails in some spots. It has been a welcome mess, believe me. But it also requires caution. There is refreezing at night, making early mornings treacherous if you aren't careful.

Watch your step, figuratively and literally. It's always a good idea, but especially in slippery places. This winter has required months of careful treading as I have walked Oliver, gone to and from my car in various parking lots, tried to run outside on nicer days, and shoveled our driveway after the latest precipitation offering.

But figuratively watching my step in recovery from alcoholism is a year-round, daily job. If I want to stay sure-footed in my sobriety, I don't go to slippery places like oversized ego, irrational fears, lack of acceptance, impatience, self-pity, resentment. I stick with the winners--acceptance, patience, humility, gratitude-- and make sure I ask others for help.

Gratitude practice helps keep me sure-footed. Mindfulness and presence help me stay in today and help me take the next step sure-footedly.

Comments