A Scale and Some Totes

Today I am grateful for sore muscles reminding me of my physical capabilities. I am also grateful for my son Sam's healthy growth and development.

Sam has outgrown his twin bed so we are in the process of switching bedrooms and beds for him. We are getting some painting done, spring cleaning, going through totes we haven't gone through in years, downsizing and updating.  A lot of work has been done. Hence, the sore muscles. A lot more remains to be done. But I appreciate that we are able to do this, financially and otherwise.

Those totes hold the stuff of our lives. Each time I take a look at some of the things I have kept, I am amazed at how quickly the years have gone. And I am grateful for the full life I am living. Things could have been so different if I had continued drinking, or not made a move when I did. Life is like that.

Each time I go through some of these totes, I also seem readier to get rid of things that I was hanging on to. Certain things are permanent keepers, without a doubt. As I get older though, some things I kept feel less like keepers and more like clutter. Yesterday, I went through what remained of my ten years of teaching materials. I didn't part with it all, but I certainly took some weight off of it. As I looked through the materials, two things struck me: how hard I worked to prepare lessons and how much I had forgotten.

Speaking of taking off some weight, here is where the scale comes in. Darcy and I have remained diligent in our efforts to eat healthier and slim down. This morning, the scale told me some good news. There was a number after the first number (1) which I haven't seen in probably 25 years. I feel good, I like how my clothes feel, I look forward to what my running pace will feel like when we can get out there regularly. We have to continue our diligence, but we are enjoying trying new recipes, sticking to more whole foods, and our increased energy level. I am so grateful Darcy and I support one another in this as well. That is a big help.

Onward! Have a nice day.

Comments