Sentimental Clothes

Today I am grateful for the sound of birds singing. I am also grateful for sore muscles that feel better when I get moving, all reminding me of the gift of mobility.

Sentimental clothes? I guess it is more sentimental Lisa regarding her clothes. I am a keeper of many things, and I am sentimental on many levels. As we have gone through closets and totes in recent days, I have come across items in what I call my "clothing archives."  There are certain things I won't part with . . . the sweatshirts from my college softball playing days, a t-shirt signed by a team I coached, the little Valentine outfit we got for Sam that he wore his first day in the world beyond the womb.

I even recall the first Colorado t-shirt I got on my first trip there to visit my sisters. I was 16 and thought I was pretty clever to have a shirt that said "Get High on the Rockies."  Sad, but true.

Many of these artifacts are safely packed away, to be saved and not worn. But some of my sentimental favorites still hang in the closet or sit in a drawer, still get worn: marathon finisher shirts, a favorite pair of jeans, an outfit Darcy picked out for me. Many things can spark memories. Clothes are one thing that do it for me. It may be connected to a certain event, or person, or time in my life. The things I have kept tend to lead to fond and wistful memories.

A comment about those marathon shirts. Some may construe wearing the shirts as a way of boasting about being a marathon finisher. Yeah, maybe for one of those fast finishers. Not me.When I wear one of my finisher shirts, I feel gratitude. Gratitude for being able to run, staying healthy through training for and completing 26. 2 miles, for sharing in the experience and passion with my husband especially, but also other family and friends. I'm not boasting. I'm literally wearing my gratitude. They are a source of strength and empowerment to me too. That's how I felt when I would wear one to a chemo treatment anyway.

Maybe I got more attached to things because I didn't have a lot of extra clothes growing up, and some were hand-me-downs. Regardless, as long as I have storage space I am keeping my sentimental clothes and the treasured memories that go with them.

I will be taking a blog break for a couple days. Have a nice weekend!


Comments