Around the House

Today I am grateful for this house we live in and the many things we love about it. I am also grateful for my recovery friends and the hope and experience we share with one another.

We have been quite busy around our house as we have moved ahead with some projects like painting and switching our son Sam from one bedroom to another. We have cleaned areas that haven't been cleaned in a long, long time. There have been several purchases with much packaging. We have created more garbage and recyclables in a few days than we would typically create in a few weeks. I have literally been around the house many times in recent days. Room to room. Level to level. I have put miles on I am sure.

I am grateful for our house and for the anticipation and excitement that come with changes and updates. I am grateful also for the memory that was sparked by mention of "around the house." That was the name of a game we played when I was growing up. It could be described as hide-and-seek in the dark, outside, with people hiding "around the house." We had a big farm house and plenty of places to hide. Darkness created many more places. I'm sure it also created some hazards, but we knew our way around and I don't recall any serious injuries.

It calls to mind warm summer nights, the sounds of evening time, and a number of children enjoying a simple game. I'm sure we fought. I'm sure there were sore losers. But I'm also sure we had plenty of fun playing "around the house" and other games. I am grateful for those memories and grateful for my siblings who share in them with me.

Comments