Scoffers Beware

Today I am grateful for my job and how it pushes and stretches me. I am also grateful for my husband Darcy and the friendship we have within our marriage.

Yesterday I posted about the effectiveness of gratitude practice, even in the face of my own ingratitude. I can't always explain how it works, I just know that it does. I believe that the thoughts we give energy to are the ones that gain a foothold in our minds, and from there our hearts and souls.I suspect gratitude practice works so well because it makes me pause in appreciation, it helps me realize the world isn't out to get me, it keeps the quagmire of self-pity at a safe distance.

But I have never said and I never will say that gratitude prevents me from having difficulties or the tough emotions that flare up from time to time in even the healthiest of people. Gratitude practice doesn't make me immune to struggles or challenges, and I have had a few along the way. It sure helps me weather those challenges and struggles better though. It is protective in that it strengthens me for the times that will test me.

I have also never believed, nor will I, that gratitude practice is a phony, pie-in-the-sky attempt to form a pollyannish view of the world. My world, our world, all of it, good and bad, is more real and alive to me because of my gratitude practice. I have a fuller appreciation and awareness of what is a gift and what is a lesson waiting to be learned, a wider understanding of how I can be of service to others and our world. Gratitude doesn't gloss over the less comfortable aspects of life, it makes it more possible for me to embrace all of life.

So scoffers beware! Like many other healthy practices and tools, often the biggest scoffers are the ones who have tried to use the practice or tool the least. It takes time, for sure, but the results start showing themselves pretty quickly. I am one of those people who needs to be habitual about it. It is a healthy habit well worth my commitment.

Are you a scoffer? Will you consider giving gratitude practice a try?

Comments