March On

Today I am grateful for quality headphones and quality old rock music. I can go into my own little world for a little while. I am also grateful for clementines, a.k.a. cuties, and their sweetness and easy peeling.

March has arrived. There is hope that this winter may start winding down and spring may start winding up. Next weekend we spring ahead for daylight savings time. The "official" start of spring is just weeks away. Even us hearty Upper Midwest folks are ready to be done with this winter. At least everybody I know and talk to. We had snow in to May last spring which was an oddity. Now, we have had three very cold months, plenty of snow, and records being broken left and right. Not fun records in my opinion. Bone-chilling records about the length and depth of cold that can happen in one winter season. Some records aren't meant to be broken. Doesn't Mother Nature know that? Apparently not.

And I am choosing to ignore the reality that statistically speaking March is often a snowy month. Not to mention it is the start of tornado season. Gosh. In light of the type of weather we have had recently, I am almost a little nervous about these next 31 days. There is more than one type of vortex to fear.

It makes me feel fortunate to have a safe and warm house, and modern technology to forewarn us about concerning weather. I still appreciate the beauty and variety of the changing seasons we get to experience in this part of the world. This year, however, my patience and tolerance have worn thin. Even I, a person who generally likes shoveling snow, am ready to hang up the shovels for now.

So we march on into the month of March. March on. What else can we do but keep our sense of humor and our awe of nature? What else can we do but keep the coats and boots handy and catalog the feeling of a brisk -30 wind chill to call to mind in August when it is 85 degrees with a dew point of 65.

March on into the day. Regardless of the weather, it is a gift.

Comments