Trees Are the Answer

Today I am grateful for family connections, love, and support. I am also grateful for my family tree.

My husband Darcy and I were out for a run the other day and I noticed a bumper sticker on a parked car as we ran past it. It said "Trees are the answer." I agree in many ways. Environmentally speaking, they are certainly vital and restorative. Seasons are marked by trees. Shelter and shade are provided.

This morning though, I am thinking more about trees of the family tree variety. As my sister Mary Jo declines with advanced cancer, she is finding her way to peace. Her family, my siblings and I, and our spouses and children, seek the same peace even as we head into unknown territory and also grieve in our own ways.

My family tree has provided shelter from storms, shade when the heat gets too hot, a place to lean when a break and some rest are needed. And let's not forget, also a pleasant place to celebrate life's milestones and joys, and share some laughter and nourishment. I have been part of this family tree for 53 years and I continue to see emerging and stunning changes and a deepening natural beauty.

Out of the blue last evening, my sister Leonice shared a picture of a Joshua tree that her friend had taken. Joshua trees are unique to the southwest United States and their beauty lies in their uniqueness. To many they symbolize resilience, hope rising out of struggle, that we can continue to transform throughout our lives.  Meaningful messages all.

Here is that picture:


My family tree continues to grow and transform. There are struggles, pain, grief. And there is expansive gratefulness, times of joy,  and quiet wisdom gained. It is a beautiful and strong tree, nurtured by love and open hearts.

I will be taking a blog break for a few days. See you next week!  Onward, a moment at a time.

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I love how that bumper sticker inspired you to write about your family tree. We're always thinking of potential blog posts, right? Like real trees, our family trees also provide shelter, shade, comfort and pleasant places to celebrate the milestones. And, of course, there also the struggles that are shared as well under the "canopy" of our family trees. I am so sorry your dear sister's health continues to decline. Witnessing this must be so difficult for your entire family. I'm glad she is finding her way to peace, whatever that means for her. Thank you for your lovely, heartfelt writing, Lisa. And for the photo too. Enjoy your blogging break. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment