The Trainee Does the Teaching

Today I am grateful for new running shoes and the fresh support they provide. I am also grateful for phones that connect me with loved ones across the miles. There is comfort in hearing their voices even when we can't be physically together.

On a recent trip to the grocery store, I made a conscious choice to go to the checkout lane where the new trainee was. I wasn't in a big hurry and my mindset was calm. The young man needed to practice, and so did I.

He needed to practice checking the various items I was purchasing and having to look up a couple less common items. His trainer is a veteran. I have seen her at this store for many years. She was calm, patient, and gave good directions. She was supportive and didn't rattle the young man.

I appreciated witnessing this little training session. Even more, I embraced my own opportunity to practice patience and consider how I can be a little easier (or a lot easier) on myself when it comes to patience and acceptance.

Whatever challenges or successes I may be faced with on a given day, in a certain time in my life, being able to exercise patience and acceptance are crucial. They are critical to maintaining healthy thoughts and emotions. Invariably, I make better choices and have more clarity when I am able to practice patience and acceptance.

I encouraged the young trainee by smiling, throwing in a couple of supportive comments, not getting antsy because it was taking longer.  In turn, I renewed my own commitment to letting things play out the way they are meant to, not the way Lisa thinks they should.

This is also called faith. It's a real leap for me on most days, but a good leap.

Comments