Flying Into the Sunset

Today I am grateful for the treasured family time I have had in recent days, safe travels, and to be a mom and stepmom.

I flew to Colorado on Thursday night with several family members. I was traveling with two brothers, their wives, and my niece. Another niece and her two daughters would join us in Colorado. Our flight left Minneapolis just before 8:00 p.m. We got an amazing and an ongoing view of that evening's sunset. It's an opportunity I have never experienced before.

Seats on the right side, time of day, time of year, and the weather conditions all conspired beautifully to bring my travel companions and I this true treat. I had a window seat and two strangers in my row. My brother and his wife were directly behind me and the rest of our contingent a few rows ahead of us. I did some writing, reflecting, and plenty of watching.

I took in the view as I took in the mix of emotions about the trip ahead. My sister Mary Jo is now on hospice care. We knew this visit was also going to be about saying goodbye. New territory for my other family members and I.

It didn't escape me, the symbol for death and dying that a sunset can be. As we flew into the sunset, I considered that Mary Jo is moving toward her sunset. Not flying, more like coasting or coming in for a landing. I hope that she is knowing freedom from physical pain. I hope that she is experiencing emotional, mental, and spiritual peace.

The awe of that sunset and the love and compassion I felt around my family will not be forgotten. The time with Mary Jo will be treasured forever. Love wins, even when the ravages of cancer are so evident.

Life is precious. Life is fragile. Cherish it and live it fully today.

Comments