Since 2008 . . .

Today I am grateful for a conversation with one of my spiritual advisors, and for taking a break last evening to watch "The Great Gatsby" with Sam and Darcy.

My portion of the 40-plus years of cancer survivorship my three sisters and I have accumulated began in 2008. Eleven years later, I consider what I have been afforded the opportunity to experience. Here are a few blessings in my life since May of 2008:

*My husband Darcy and I reached our 20th wedding anniversary last July.

*Our son Sam went from finishing his kindergarten year to moving through elementary and middle school, and his third year of high school is winding down.

*Sam went from a child to a young man now taller and bigger than both of his parents. He is a gentle-hearted being and I am proud of him daily.

*I have gained wisdom and been granted grace in recovery from alcoholism, one day at a time.

*I have experienced emotional highs and lows that have helped me transform and grow.

*I have started and completed eleven full marathons to add to the five I did before my BC diagnosis. Topping the list of memorable experiences was the 2009 Kansas City Marathon, which Darcy and I completed side by side, 10 months to the day since my mastectomies.

*Seeing my stepchildren Arthur and Emily graduate from high school, get some additional schooling, find employment, and become parents.

*Welcoming our daughter-in-law Alyssa to our family, and welcoming our grandsons Leo and Aaron. They are each such welcome additions to our family.

*Becoming a published and paid writer, and then starting this blog. I have found my voice, and used my pen and keyboard, in many new ways since 2008.

*My hair grew back and the gray still blends in nicely with my brown hair.

*My seven sisters and I have joked about being down several body parts--breasts, ovaries, uteri, and such. What we are up in though are our connections to one another and the deeper love and care we share.

The list goes on. The blessings continue. Just for today.

Comments