Self-Compassion

Today I am grateful for the moments of clarity that have come in my renewed meditation practice in recent weeks. I am also grateful for my working arms and legs and the many steps I take each day.

This "Word for the Day" at www.gratefulness.org this morning was just what I needed:

"A moment of self-compassion can change your entire day. 
A string of such moments can change the course of your life."
(Christopher K. Germer)

A moment of self-compassion. Allow the tears to come. Surrender to the unknown. Derail the negative train of thought and return to a closer connection to Great Spirit. Take small steps. Writing in my gratitude journal. Taking a few minutes to meditate on lovingkindness. Turning my fear over to my Higher Power by humbly praying on my knees.

It also includes the exercises I did this morning to help keep my aging joints healthy, and the nutritious breakfast I just took time to enjoy. 

Self-compassion was a deep mystery to me for so long, as it is for many alcoholics and addicts, for many of us in general. I am a work in progress. The good news is that progress is being made. 

When I can tap into self-compassion, I am more able to show compassion to others. Dear family and friends of mine are facing pain, grief, difficulties, heaviness, fears, uncertainties. Each of us practicing some self-care means we bring more heartfelt and gentle love and kindness to those we interact with today.

I mess-up every day, but I do plenty right every day too. Starting with some self-compassion and returning to it during the day, energizes and revitalizes me, helps me bring a better self into the stream of the day ahead. 

When I do get derailed, as I tend to, something as simple as a pause and putting my hand on my heart warms me and lightens the burden. That hand on my own heart becomes the hand that reaches out in support to others. 


Comments