Strong Reminders for a Strong Disease

Living gratefully today, I appreciate a good night's rest, sunshine, time to meditate, and a peaceful few minutes to sit outside and compose this post.

And let me not forget to honor and acknowledge my daily recovery from alcoholism. Without it, I could and would lose every one I love and everything else worth having in life.

In recent days I have heard about people way too young dying from their addictions. People who made attempts at sobriety, at recovery. The disease pulled them back in and eventually killed them. There are others who have recently relapsed.

I have connections with many people in recovery. I hang out with several on a regular basis. They provide some of the lifeblood of my recovery efforts. I have spoken to alcoholics in the first days and weeks of their sobriety. I have sat next to friends who have long-term sobriety talking about their recent struggles and why they stay active in their recovery efforts.

When you are connected with many in recovery, from time to time the tragic reality of active addiction hits us and we mourn the loss of another life. It serves to deepen our resolve and grace flows to remind us we are not alone. An alcoholic or addict who isolates is in a precarious place. I try not to isolate.

Strong reminders for a strong and deadly disease. This is serious business. Deadly serious. I very much appreciate the recovery connections I have and an ever-loving and patient Higher Power who stays by my side and in my heart even when my fears and ego try to push the faith and gratitude out.

Daily work for a daily disease. Tremendous thanks to all who support me in my daily recovery. You are many, and you are the best messengers.

Comments