Doing the Best We Can

Living gratefully, I embrace the fresh air and coming daylight as I enjoy some outdoor time to start this day. I am also grateful for the love that I know exists in so many ways in my life.

I always appreciate the quotes of Helen Keller. She didn't limit herself, she challenged her limits. 
Here is one to consider:


"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought 

in our life, or in the life of another."

It is sometimes hard for me to give myself credit for doing the best I could at a given time. I bring my thoughts and emotions to each situation. Sometimes they help, sometimes they hinder, But in that moment, in that set of circumstances, I did the best I could. Mistakes happen, regret shows itself.

Yet, so does transformation, deeper meaning, a more expansive gratefulness. If we don't try and fail, we also don't try and succeed.

For whatever reason, dates stick and click in my mind. I realized that it was 10 years ago today, May 17, 2009, that I ran my first half marathon post-cancer diagnosis. It was five months to the day since my mastectomies. My body, mind, heart, and soul did the best they could and we were damn proud of ourselves. I ran unfettered. I ran healthy. I ran into the new normal I was creating as my hair grew back and my scars healed. 

My sister Mary Jo has done the best she could with each of her three cancer diagnoses. There is so much dignity in the human condition. Let's honor one another with that dignity. 

We all do the best we can as the flawed humans we are. Love and forgiveness go a long way. I need to love and forgive myself as a starting point, and then I have love and forgiveness to offer to others.  It's the best I can do today. 


Comments