An Old Lady Sitting in the Sun

Living gratefully today, I embraced some painful emotions and moved through them. The practice of knowing my emotions in the moment is such meaningful practice.

Last evening my husband Darcy and I went out for ice cream, after I had gotten a run in and we had enjoyed some time with our grandson Leo. The sun had finally come out late in the afternoon after a gray and dreary few days.

Running and Gigi time, ice cream and sunshine all tend to elevate my mood. They bring energy and gratefulness. They bring perspective.

As we sat partaking of our ice cream, I looked a couple of tables over and saw an elderly woman sitting looking into the sunshine. I thought of my mom.  She was sitting there alone. The person she was with had gone to get something.  I thought of my mom, alone, but not really alone.

I have no idea what this woman may have been thinking or feeling in that moment. I do know what it brought to my mind and heart. She looked peaceful and present, simply taking in the experience. The sunshine lent brightness to her features and to our surroundings.

Peaceful. Present. Simply taking in the experience. Some goals I aspire to today. Thank you to the old lady sitting in the sunshine for reminding me of these honorable intentions.


Comments