Gathering Dust

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the early morning quiet and the ease I can find there. I am also grateful for a simple breakfast of cereal and banana.

After two beautiful weather days to start the weekend, and many hours spent outside, a rainy Memorial Day had us inside doing some housecleaning yesterday. It had been quite some time since we had dusted certain areas.

Not high on my list of enjoyable household chores, I have to be in the mood to dust. I like jobs where I can see progress. If you don't dust often, it fits that bill pretty well. Dust had gathered enough for noticeable improvement to be made by me and my duster.  Dust gathers fairly quickly, so I am glad I don't obsess about passing any white glove tests.

Yet, dust can gather where it shouldn't. In my head. In my heart. Running around like a proverbial hamster on a wheel, only parts of my head and heart are used. Other crucial parts get dusty, lose their light, their shine. I had to fall off the wheel and land in the dust and dirt to figure out I had some house cleaning to do. House cleaning of the emotional variety.

In my early sobriety, I knew a wise guy, wise in humor and in wisdom, who liked to say "You can't saw sawdust."  I never forgot that. What's done is done. Let it go. Move forward. Forgive self and others. Embrace imperfection.

I pondered further my recent post about dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind. Don't take yourself too damn seriously Lisa!

Dust has surfaced in my writing in several ways in recent posts. As it settles, I find new meaning.

Comments