Things to Celebrate

Living gratefully today, I appreciate safe travels to and from Iowa yesterday and time with my family.

My niece Ellie graduated from high school yesterday afternoon. I was also able to take in her baccalaureate mass in the morning.  I joined my sister Ruth, Ellie's mom, and her family, as well as my sister Zita and her husband.

I saw my brother Lee and his wife, had a brief visit with my mom, and was treated to a few minutes with my Aunt Helen as well. Familiar family faces bring comfort.

Ellie graduated in the same gym I did 36 years ago.  Eleven of my siblings and numerous nieces and nephews also graduated from the same school. It is a sentimental journey for me to walk into that building, the place I began my teaching career over 30 years ago as well.

With Sam's prom on Saturday, and watching live streaming of Ellie at the Iowa state track meet earlier in the weekend, it was nice to have these events and experiences of celebration.

Emotions have been heavy, there are plenty of people suffering and on my mind, the school year becomes a real grind in May, and I am exhausted in more ways than one. To have these celebratory occasions was a boost, a dose of "life goes on and goes on well."

Some of these celebrations come along only once in a lifetime. Embracing grateful living allows me reminders that there are things to celebrate every moment of every day. The next breath I take. The surprise of being able to see when I open my eyes. The smell of lilacs. The color green and the many variations it comes in, especially in the spring. Laughter. Love. Genuine emotion.

There was another cardinal sighting yesterday morning, right on our front porch. And another meaningful conversation with my friend Sheila.

There are trials and tribulations at hand, but also time to pause and celebrate this moment at hand. Onward!

Comments