Take a moment to remember . . . 3:00 p.m. today

Today I am grateful to wake up in a democratic nation, feeling safe in my home and in my neighborhood. I am most thankful for all service men and women, past and present, who have served our nation valiantly and protected and preserved this democracy.

I feel a little hesitant in this post, like I am one of those who remembers on Memorial Day, but not enough the other 364 days. Instead, let's focus on doing what we can when we can.

Google told me this morning that there is a National Moment of Remembrance in the United States at 3:00 p.m. local time today. It's been around since 2000, but I thank Google for putting it in the forefront this morning, for everyday citizens like me. It simply asks us to pause at 3:00 p.m. for a moment of silence to remember and as an act of national unity.

My country could sure use a unifying moment we can all agree on. Will you join me?  I am setting an alarm on my phone to remind my family and I.

I think about the veterans in my immediate family. My oldest brother Linus served in the Army in the Vietnam era, as did my late brother-in-law Roger. My niece's husband Keegan currently is on active duty in the Army in Hawaii. Thank you one and all.

Whenever I see someone in uniform, if possible, I try to go over and thank them for their service. I did this a few days ago at the grocery store. It's the least I can do. I have always been met with warmth when I have extended this gesture.

Yesterday as I headed into a store to get a few things, there was a man doing a fundraiser for veterans. I handed him a small donation on my way out and asked him if he was a veteran. Yes, he replied, he had served in the Marine Corps. I thanked him for his service and asked where my donation would be going. He said to help veterans with PTSD and gave some examples of the support offered.

He handed me this flag and I came home and gave it a place for the summer in this potted plant on our protected front porch:



I saw a bumper sticker on my way to work Friday that said:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."  Point taken.

Regardless of the mixed feelings I have about our involvement in various places, and about the state of our nation in general, I would be remiss if I did not give honor and respect to those who have been willing to defend our country and the freedom that I enjoy every day.

Thank you to all who have honored and defended with their service. Consider that pause at 3:00 p.m.
Pause in gratefulness for so much, so many.

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for this. I will take that pause, reflect, remember and feel gratitude. And I will resolve to do all these things more frequently and not just on Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment