Some Drumming and Some Debris

Today I am grateful for our son Sam and the ways he applies himself as a student, athlete, son, friend, contributor. Congrats on your induction into the National Honor Society last evening. I am also grateful to the NHS Advisors at his school and all they do to support students.

Yesterday was a warm, sunny, and breezy day. I stopped down by the Mississippi River on my way home to do some writing and to enjoy the elements. The floodwaters are receding and here is some of the debris left behind: 


I was struck by the sheer size of these branches and the power of the current and water that brought them here. They leave a mess to be cleaned up. It left me with questions to consider. Where am I leaving debris?  What do I need to clean up? What is my part and what isn't?

As I pulled in to a parking spot, a man carrying a drum walked past and took a seat on the nearest bench. He began to drum as I began to do some writing. I really appreciated that timing made it possible for me to enjoy the rhythmic beat of the drums, along with the warm air, the passing river, the sunshine.

I walked to take the above picture and on my way to my car I passed the drummer. He had paused his drumming, so I took the opportunity to thank him for sharing his drumming and that I felt fortunate to hear it. I asked him if he had a beat or rhythm planned, or if he just goes with whatever. He said it was some of both, but this time he had watched birds' wings and found a beat that way. Nature and human connecting. It was an experience I am glad I got to participate in.

I am left with these lessons. Find the beat and rhythm to the day naturally. Don't try too hard Lisa.
And leave little debris behind today. Kind and gentle with self and others Lisa. 

Comments