A Loving Silence

Today I am grateful for sweat and endorphins, for their cleansing and energizing properties. I am also grateful for the written word.

Consider these words: 

"A loving silence often has far more power to heal and 
to connect than the most well-intentioned words." 
(Rachel Naomi Remen)

I practiced a loving silence as I sat with my mom the other day. For so long, I had many thoughts, and honestly plenty of judgments too, as I watched or listened to Mom. Now, the best I can do, should do, is love and accept her. I have always loved her. She's my mom. But this loving silence is newer, more meaningful, unconditional.

I practice loving silence as I think about my sister Mary Jo, across the miles. And across the chasm of cancer. I pause, pray for her, send energy to her. She deals with nausea, pain, restlessness, the weight of terminal illness. She draws an inner strength and hopefully feels the support of so many of us around her. It is hard to give words to all I would like to say to Mary Jo or ask her about.

It is not as hard to spend time in loving silence. I will try to pause in my day today to practice loving silence for her, for Mom, for others.  





Comments