A Short and Random Rant

Living gratefully today, I am savoring the sound of Billy Joel's voice and music in my ears, and also the feel of my feet on the floor, on stable ground.

So, I am driving home yesterday and I look at the computer screen in my car and it tells me the song playing is by .38 Special, titled "Second Chance" and is from 1989.

My first thought is .38 Special is the name of a gun too, but I always think first of the rock band whose music I really enjoy. Should I be bothered that the group name is also a gun name? It never really crossed my mind in my youth. It didn't make me violent, I wasn't offended or bothered. It was just a name they must have had some reason for calling themselves. No big deal. Enjoy the music!

The song title of "Second Chance" followed by the year 1989 brought me right away to the second chance at life that recovery from alcoholism has given me. My recovery started in 1989 and continues today, one day at a time. One hour at a time when needed.

I survived my drinking days and the dangerous situations I was in and put myself in. Now that's a big deal! Thank you Great Spirit for watching over me, and putting friends beside me when I most needed them but was at my least tolerable.

Recovery is a gift. It takes work, but it is the best work that I do. Just like living gratefully. It requires effort, but the returns are amazing.

Second chances are a gift. I have been given many over the years, big and small.

And my final rant for this post: Live life fully present today. Take it all in. Pay attention. It's all we get. It's ALL we get!


Comments