Doing

Today I am grateful for conversations with family and friends over the weekend, in person and across the miles. I am also grateful for my sense of hearing.

"Forget and just be." I am continuing to ponder yesterday's post topic. As my sister Danita pointed out recently, we are a family of doers. Like Mom and Dad, we are hard workers and proud of this work ethic they set as the example and instilled in each of us.

We are aging and slowing down some. Health issues are causing more limitations. But we remain doers and we have "to do" and "done" lists that might make others tired just looking at them. Heck, I get tired just looking at mine sometimes.

But there is a price to pay, and sometimes a heavy one. I will "do" when I should just "be."

Overdoing. Thinking too much. Doing too much. Not stopping until enough is done. But "enough" is a moving target and I am the one who keeps moving it. Continuing to do when I should stop and feel and process for a time is also not healthy for me.

I am not in this overdoing mode all the time, but suffice it to say that I am in it too much, and those closest to me would likely agree.

So I practice to make progress possible. Progress at doing less and simply being, pausing more.

In this pause on our front patio this morning, I hear birds singing, distant traffic, neighbors conversing as they walk by. I see the sky and remember that I am a small part of a magnificent whole.

Comments