Perspective Shifters

Today I am grateful for the opportunities to thank others for their efforts. I am also grateful for how a little shift in perspective can make a significant shift in energy and emotions.

We had our carpets cleaned this week and had some furniture moved for a couple of days. There were chairs where there aren't usually chairs. So I sat in one and saw a view of my home and outside that I don't typically get. A little shift in vantage point brought a freshness to something as mundane as our refrigerator and the view out our front window that I have seen thousands of times.

Perspective shifters come in all shapes and sizes, lengths and breadths.

Today I am thinking about my dear friend Sheila and her family. Two years ago today, her daughter Carli died by suicide at age 14. Sheila and I have shared many conversations since then and I have witnessed and heard the perspective shift that a grieving mother makes as she moves forward.

I am thinking about my sister Mary Jo and the metastatic breast cancer that is spreading in her body. And I sit here with no evidence of disease (NED) and wonder about so many things. But I never wonder about the huge importance of health and I try not to take it for granted. I can't begin to know what Mary Jo is going through, but her MBC has shifted how I look at my NED.

And I am back to sitting in a chair, in either a new or familiar place, and taking a moment to take in my physical surroundings as well as my emotional presence in that moment.

Such a pause never fails to give me the perspective that this is a precious time, to be treated sacredly. To be lived fully.

Comments