Birthday Wishes

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy, and our marriage, our family, our shared lives.

Darcy turns 54 today. He’s about three months older than me, and also often wiser as well. When we met at age 32, we had 64 years of life experience between us, and it hadn't all been rosy for either of us.

We brought many blessings to our relationship for sure, but we also brought challenges, difficulties, and tough memories. We have each added 21 years of life experience, another 42 years between us. The blessings have grown exponentially. Some challenges, difficulties and tough memories have come along too, but our marriage has helped us though them individually and collectively.

I sat down to do a gratitude list for Darcy for his birthday. A list of 54 things I am grateful for about him. I didn't do it all at once, I carried it with me yesterday and kept adding to it. The gratitude flowed and it didn't take that long to go from what I put for #1: his honesty and what I put for #54: he loves me as I am.

The other 52 will go unlisted here, but include his health and his commitment to it, as well as his quickness to forgive and move on. It also includes the simple pleasure of taking advantage of a snow day the other day to make him his favorite carrot cake for an early birthday treat.

Darcy has so many strengths and gifts he brings each day and gives to those around him. I am deeply blessed and so are his children, grandchildren, family, colleagues, those in our church community, and more.

Darcy and I complement one another well in so many ways. We help balance each other out. Today, a birthday compliment as well. You are looking good at 54!  Happy Birthday! I love you.

Comments