Fresh Air as Medication

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the fresh air my husband Darcy and I enjoyed this morning on our patio, and the brief thunderstorm that also reminded us of nature's power.  I am also grateful for nice weather, safe travels, and enjoyable family time over the last few days.

Fitting to give gratitude for nature today, Earth Day. Am I doing my part to honor, protect, preserve our precious natural environment? I try. I could do more, but I do plenty and will continue. If we each do our part, even in small ways. it makes a difference.

Not to mention, it is our responsibility, nicely summarized in these words from Chief Seattle:

"Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints."  

When it comes to memories, my mom's are slipping away. I visited her the other day and enjoyed the time we spent together. I simply try to appreciate being with her and feeling her presence, this person who helped create me, carried me, raised me. I don't expect much of a conversation. I do expect repeated questions. I simply apply acceptance, patience, and lovingkindness. That is my goal anyway. 

She has become fixated on some ideas, and paranoia creeps in at times too. She mentioned that there was some discussion that she could use more medications to help with some of the things she deals with physically. Such a discussion may or may not have happened, but her take on it that day was that fresh air is as good as any medicine. 

Fresh air is indeed good medicine. I try to get a fair amount of it each day, and we are entering the warmer months when that becomes easier and more pleasant. My mom also enjoys getting out for a walk with my brother Artie, or other visitors, whenever she can.  

I think it has made a tremendous difference in her wellbeing over her lifespan, and in mine too. It can't entirely replace medication that may be needed for specific health issues, but fresh air certainly does lend itself to giving us energy and gratefulness. 

Comments