Watch Where You're Going

Today I am grateful for the trees in our neighborhood and along my running routes, and the way the sunlight plays through them. I am grateful I was present enough to notice both the trees and the sunlight this morning.

Yesterday morning I was running late-my own schedule, no one else's. A couple of curve balls had come up, including a slow computer. But I really wanted to go for a bike ride. So I did. I reminded myself that today is the day. It's all that I get. Making the most of it included a short 20-minute ride on one of my favorite stretches of trail.

As I rode, I encouraged myself to stay out of my head and stay in my surroundings, noticing what my five senses were taking in. That is what I was doing on a curvy, tree-lined stretch of trail when another biker came around the curve. He clearly wasn't paying as much attention, but we had time to avoid one another. If I had been spinning in my head, I may have noticed him later and we may have had to take more drastic measures to prevent a collision. A good lesson in watch where you are going. You enjoy more with the added benefit of being safer.

A  few minutes later, I was nearing home and starting to think about what awaited me when I headed in to work. This time it was me not paying attention when I passed a runner coming from the opposite direction. She saw me first and was ready to move if I didn't see her, as evidenced by the look on her face. We avoided a collision and I apologized. Watch where you are going Lisa!

How quickly I can get caught up in thinking, in busy stuff, in worries, to-do lists, fears, etc. Daily practice at mindful presence helps and there is improvement, but there's room for plenty more.

Watch where you are going today. Share the trail. Share the day. Share gratitude.

Comments