Singing All Day

Today I am grateful for clean windows and a yard to care for. I am also grateful for the singing I heard yesterday.

Singing all day? No, that wasn't me and that is something those around me can be grateful for. Today's post title and content have more to do with a simple realization I had. 

Birds were singing. Nothing new there, unless you consider each day a new day with new birdsong to usher it in. That is when I tend to notice the birds and their chorus...early in the day. 

Yesterday in the late morning I was pulling a few weeds and picking up some twigs in our yard. I was appreciating my physical capabilities and a break from the schoolwork I had been doing much of the morning. And I was present in the moment. It was then that I heard birdsong. It seemed clearer, more pleasing to the ear. I noticed and then onward I went.

Then mid-afternoon I took another break and washed some upstairs windows. That gives you an idea of how busy it has been. Typically the windows get a spring cleaning in March or April. Yesterday was July 22 and I was just getting to it.

Anyway, I digress. As I washed the windows and appreciated having windows to wash and the obvious difference the washing was making, I again heard the distinct sound of nearby birds. 

That was when it struck me. The birds are always singing, I am not always listening. I can hear birds sing all day long when I listen. I can find reasons for gratitude all day long when I pay attention in the here and now.

Comments