Continuous Flow

Today I am grateful for ice cream sandwiches and for the daily opportunities I get to write.

The "Word for the Day" on gratefulness.org yesterday was:

"In the continuous flow of blessing our heart finds meaning and rest."
(Brother David Steindl-Rast)

Lately, there have been days and weeks that have seemed like one "pain in the neck" after the other. Case in point, as I started to type this line our dog Oliver proceeded to throw up on our carpet. Minor issue. As many of the things in recent weeks have been. But some have been more significant. Health issues like pneumonia for example. 

I am tired of "one thing after another" and sometimes I want to wallow in a little self-pity, a little rendition of "poor me" that I used to spend so much time mired in. Then the words of Brother David Steindl-Rast show up, both on my blog header and through this recent quote above. 

Life isn't always rosy and peachy. It never will be. I don't always make the best choices in my thoughts. I will continue to be perfectly imperfect. Yet, I handle things so much better than I used to, and that deserves some acknowledgement, a little pat on the back. Then onward we go.

Only by striving to keep a continuous flow of blessing going through my daily practice of gratitude am I able to stay out of the muck. That negative stream of energy-draining, spirit-zapping thoughts that would otherwise pull me in. Oh, I will dabble. But I won't fall in. My heart and soul find enough meaning and rest in mindful presence that I don't get fully immersed in the "poor me, poor us" stuff.

Instead, I seek keen awareness of the blessings in this moment. It's a good start.

Comments

  1. Sorry for blabbing all over your posts, I hope you don't mind the conversation, you just keep reminding me of things I have learned along the way... this post reminds me of a seminar I took called the Landmark Forum.. have you heard of it? In the second part of this course we learned "our act".. simply put is what we tell ourselves, or how we handle things in times of conflict.. Mine is "its not my fault". It seems you've discovered yours is "poor me" To counter "our act" we had to come up with opposite statements to redefine how will now act.. my new statement is "i am powerful and inspirational". The friend that introduced me to this course, her "act" was also "poor me".. can't remember what her counter statement was.. but i can sure ask her if you're interested and I am sure you have counter statements in place already... Its been a long time, I can't remember is there were any guidelines in developing that counter statement... Thanks Lisa! do you work in the summer? are you a guidance counsler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the conversation at all. I appreciate it and that my writing sparks your own memories. I haven't heard of Landmark Forum, but I understand what you are saying. From "it's not my fault" to "I am powerful and inspirational." Way to go! Our thoughts also define us, which is why thinking gratefully is so much better for us. One counter for "poor me" that comes to mind is "I am worthy." It took me a long time to get there. I am a Middle School Counselor and I do work some in the summer, with more flexibility. Thanks for commenting Kristi!

      Delete

Post a Comment