Stride Out

Today I am grateful for sobriety and the support to maintain it daily. I am also grateful for birds singing to welcome a new day.

Yesterday morning I went for a run, doing a speed workout that I try to do once a week. (Keep in mind that speed is a relative term here.) If you are a regular reader of my blog, (Thanks!) you have probably noticed a struggle lately to find peace and calm amidst daily life. I was a little "in my head" yesterday morning.

When I headed out for the run, I had already walked twenty minutes or so and I am sure that helped my legs feel ready to go. But as I took my first steps, a voice in my head said "Stride out!" I believe that voice was my Higher Power giving me some direction. When I have faith and an open mind, I get messages coming through. Sometimes subtly, sometimes not; but coming through.

Stride out! So I did. I relaxed my arms and lengthened my steps out. I felt more loose, less tense. I felt a physical letting go. I ran smoother. Breathed easier. And yes, I ran faster, shaving off 45 seconds from last week's time. I got into the runner's rhythm and out of my overanalyzing brain.

When I got to the doozy of a hill in the last mile, I shortened my strides. My legs and lungs thanked me. We made it to the top and finished strong.

Sometimes we need to stride out. At other times we need to shorten it up. Calm presence helps me know when it is best to do each. Have a good day!

Comments