Peace of Heart Amidst More of More

Today I am grateful for the refreshing taste and feel of ice cold water on a hot day. I am also grateful for some peaceful moments in recent days.

For my family in recent months, the pace of our lives and our days has been too fast too often. That is the way life can be for many of us. Certain times of the year can be busier. Certain times of our lives, such as when our children are growing up, lend themselves to more commitments, more events scheduled, more hours away from home, more worries, more stops at more stores, more of more.

It can be hard to find peace of heart in the midst of more of more. It is not the fault of our busy lives, however. It is our fault. It is my fault in how I approach a busy day, how I forget to pause, how I fly right past an opportunity to breathe in gratefulness.

So when I saw these words from Brother David Steindl-Rast last week on gratefulness.org,  I pledged to return to trying easier.

"We are never more than one grateful thought away from peace of heart."

The lesson I am getting loud and clear lately as I try to maintain my gratitude practice is this:

Gratefulness is the avenue to mindfulness. Mindfulness is a direct route to peace. 

Take time to pause. To breathe in and breathe out. Think grateful thoughts. Take grateful actions.

When I am able to do these things, the rest seems to take care of itself. And I end up taking better care of myself and honoring my priorities.

Comments

  1. Reminds me of Mother Teresa's Simple Path, which goes like this

    The fruit of Silence is Prayer
    The fruit of Prayer is Faith
    The fruit of Faith is Love
    The fruit of Love is Service
    The fruit of Service is Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are beautiful words Steve. Mother Teresa left her mark in so many ways. It is called Simple Path for a reason. I will try to follow that path today. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment