The Difference Between Cars and Brains

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy's ability to run again after an illness. I am also grateful for the appreciation and calm gained when I am able to keep things in proper perspective.

Yesterday's "pains in the neck" stemmed from vehicle difficulties with my stepdaughter's car. It has reached that point in mileage where issues crop up. It led to an early morning flurry of activity, the kind you wish you wouldn't have to deal with but that require action. All before 7:00 a.m. Yet, everybody got to work or where they needed to get, and the day proceeded.

Everyone was safe. The car issue could have gotten serious and become a danger. It didn't. There is a lot of gratitude in that alone. And if I stay stuck in the frustration of what wasn't going well, I miss what did go well.

Darcy and I shook our heads a little and asked "one more thing, really?"  But we maintained our sense of humor and we kept returning to gratitude. Gratitude for safety. Gratitude to have options. Gratitude that cars can be fixed or replaced.

A pain in the neck, yes. A routine-changer too. Not a life-changer though. Not like when things happen to our bodies that can't be fixed or replaced. Like the dementia that destroys the brains of wonderful, energetic people like my brother-in-law Roger and so many others.

That puts the hassle of car issues in perspective real quickly. And it puts Roger and my sister Danita in my thoughts and prayers each and every day.


Comments