Little Leo

Today I am grateful for NED (no evidence of disease) seven years out from my breast cancer diagnosis. I am also grateful for time with our grandson Leo this morning.

Leo reached the 4-month milestone earlier this week. He is doing well, healthy, smiles a lot and is just starting to roll over, although we haven't gotten to witness that excitement yet.

His mom Emily is working really hard to be the best mom she can be and provide for Leo. She is doing a good job and clearly her son means the world to her. She has some challenges in her circumstances, but what I see in her interactions with Leo are love and nurturing. You can see it in his face.



What I see and get from my interactions with him are joylets-little bits of joy like his smiles, the noises he makes, how observant he is of his surroundings, how he knows familiar faces, how he saves special smiles for his mom, how he kicks his legs and grabs things with his hands. In his presence I am more mindfully present myself.  Thanks Leo!

Seven years ago this morning I was preparing for a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy, the first of three surgeries to address cancer in my right breast. I am so very grateful to be here this morning hanging out with Leo. My cancer experiences continue to shape my life, but so do experiences like being a grandparent.

Onward into the day! 

Comments

Post a Comment