Change the Trajectory

Today I am grateful for air-conditioning and for the safe arrival of my niece and her husband's second child.

Yesterday my day started on a downward trajectory. Mostly thanks to my attitude about it and waking up at 3:30 a.m. and not getting back to sleep.  A tired Lisa can be an "itchy, scratchy" Lisa. That's not to say that some of the circumstances that surround me would be frustrating to most people. I can cut myself some slack.

But I don't need to add momentum to the negative, and that is what I did yesterday morning. Thankfully, recovery work and regular gratitude practice allow me to change the trajectory of my day when needed.

I can pause. Just breathe. Regroup. Remind myself to not take life and myself too seriously. I can start an A-Z gratitude list in my head, and even if I don't finish it, the trajectory has already started trending upward.

There was a time in my life when many days had that downward trajectory from the get-go. Not liking who you see in the mirror will set you up for that.  I am grateful that time in my life is over.

Today I will focus on what keeps me heading in the right direction. That starts with mindful presence and an awareness of the gifts around me.

Comments